Chatzy is an online platform for chatting, where users can create private rooms for messaging their friends. It is a good alternative to Facebook, Skype, Windows Live, and other messengers because:
- Chatzy has no registration steps - you can join it instantly
- Chatzy is free and has no popup ads
- Chatzy does not require Flash or any installation on your computer (= no spyware)
- Chatzy works on all major browsers, with any language and through corporate firewalls
- Chatzy is simple and easy to use
It is also a useful tool for classroom discussions if you want your students to practice writing. You can give them a reading assignment and then arrange when they have to connect to Chatzy from home. This way you can cover a part of their homework. Ask some questions and let the discussion flow. It will be easier for them, and more relaxing than maybe speaking in class, because they will do it from their homes.
There is also a mobile version of the platform, so if you have the time and possibilities, you can do this kind of discussion during your class. It will be even more interesting if you tell your students not to speak at all during this activity - so the only thing they are allowed to do is to type their answers.
Ask them how they liked this kind of communication afterwards and then you'll see if this works for them.
Can you think of other activities that can be done via Chatzy?